Tuesday, September 18, 2007

As the tide rises....

I didn't switch on the car radio. The intermittent muted thud of the windshield wipers as they wiped the shapeless splashes of rain drops induced a gloom that I was enjoying. Stuck in the internationally acclaimed traffic jam near the world famous Silk Board circle of Bangalore, I was looking at the 'TATA' board on the rear of the truck poised in front of my car. Any moment, the traffic light that I could not see would turn to green, and the lazy drivers would be forced to shift the gears to the first, and traffic would move, I thought.

I was enjoying watching the reckless biker, who had rudely cut past me in the previous signal, wait helplessly ahead, getting drenched in the light drizzle. I was secretly hoping for the rain to come harder, so that the water would creep into the dude's pants too.

Just then, there was a slight hint of the movement of the vehicles, and the truck in front of me moved ahead slowly.

As I passed the SilkBoard signal, and swerved right into Hosur road, I was happy with the speed with which the vehicles were moving. I guessed that the traffic jam was only on the previous road.

Or!!! I was wrong.

I hit the brakes violently. The traffic abruptly came to a halt by the side of the Silk Board flyover.

I was clueless about this strange phenomenon. This was not a hot spot for traffic jams, as Hosur road had been relatively free after the expansion in the last six months. I waited patiently, as curious Hari and Geetha stared at me from the rear windows of a Toyota Qualis. I did not know them personally. Actually, I had not seen them in my life ever before. The two people were staring out of a rear window that proclaimed 'Hari' and 'Geetha' as though the initial credits of a Kannada movie, on the glass.

Suddenly, it rained harder. I turned the knob of my windshield wipers to move faster. I was secretly happy, imagining the plight of the biker, whom I could not see now. This was fun.

Just then, I saw muddy water build up on the road. I was wondering about where it all would go. I saw an opening beside the road shoulder, where all the water was flushing down. I waited for the traffic to move, not very much aware of the cause of the jam. I imagined that it could be some confused traffic manager, hired by the Traffic Police, who had no clue about what he was doing. Undernourished, and untrained, these chaps seem to be hired in a hurry by the Bangalore Traffic Police. Similar to the hordes of freshers being herded into the IT industry, some of whom have never touched the ';' button on the key board in their past, and the management suddenly disappearing from the sight, leaving the hapless clients staring at these chaps in the hope that the person who wrote "Outsourcing in the latest 'in' thing" is right, the hired 'Traffic Policemen' always try their best to come up with some strategy to convince the junta that they are right for the job. They think creatively, coming with some mini 'STOP' boards, orange jackets, and sometimes whistles too, but are not able to stop the James Bond inspired crazy men behind the wheels of the Tempo Travelers of the IT companies, who are licensed to kill.

As I waited in the lashing rain, watching Hari and Geetha, exchanging some comments about me, I could hear the light lapping sounds. The last time I had heard, was a climax scene in an English movie where a boat is drowning.
Where the hell was this coming from????

Now, I could see that the water had built up enough, so much so that it was lapping in light waves against the bottom of my car.

I was shocked.

Dammit!! I was not on a boat. I was in a car. And cars have holes. Through which water can come in.

Suddenly, I looked at the opening through which water was being routed out. The water level had risen beyond the hole. I could not see the hole now.

My heart sank.

(to be continued.... along with a video)

No comments: