Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Trudge towards the other part of the world - 4

What happens when you mix that tap water from the bathroom (after it
has been tempered hot in that coffee machine), the 'cane sugar powder'
carrying its characteristic stink, and Kemps 2% fat milk with its
smell, along with a coffee powder sachet that was opened yesterday?
Something, I do not know, because I gulped it down with my nose closed.

That's my beverage for the evening, which nescafe swears is coffee.

Well, hope to end spamming your mailboxes today with my banal display
of wordpower ( the man my highschool history teacher had mentioned,
the one who had byhearted the dictionary, still haunts me, and
challenges me).
'CUT THE CRAP' my friend in Bangalore is screaming out. Ok, right
down to the business.

'50 D' displayed my boarding ticket, and as luck would have it, the
number was just above the ivory damsel. 'Jab khuda deta hain, to
chappar phaad ke'…. But gimme a break god, it is raining, AND I WANT
THE 'CHAPPAR'.
Just managed to fit in the huge mass of my flesh ( don't know where
all those muscles disappeared, should start gymming again once I reach
the land of Arnod Schwaneggers) in between the digitally loaded arm
rests of the Luft's seats.
Guys, sorry!!! No 'Hi', no 'excuse me', not even a glance.
I just wanted to hide below the seat, and close my eyes.
How would like be looking? I just wondered. Drowsy, and unshaved.
Ok, concentrate one problem at a time, some management guru had
barked.
What does he know the travails of an ugly guy sitting beside a killer dame?
Looks do not matter??? Tell that to the 'yo' guy on her other side,
who was talking to a obese uncle on his other side, with an 'ulti'
lass on his side.
Now, did people appear really bad with a beard? Hritik will look cool
with a thin beard, but what the hell. Mine was a five day beard.
Shah Rukh will look bad with the beard. Well, he will look bad
anyways.
Salman ??? Never seen him with a beard. Tried to imagine him with a
one. But the guys shaves everywhere. Cheh Cheh. Not a good
specimen.
SANJAY DUTT!!!
I WILL LOOK LIKE SANJAY DUTT, WITH HIS DROOPING SHOULDERS, HALF SHUT
EYES, AND AN AWFUL BEARD!!!
Now…where did he….
" Would you pass me the water please? " the girl said, pointing to the
airhostess' out stretched arms hold a plastic tumbler of water.
Accented !!!
"Are you a German or an American? " I asked her, knowing that she was a German.
"I am from Romania," she uttered.
"OK," I said. Now, what was it known for?
"You know Romania?" she asked.
Yes, wasn't it the place where people wore trousers on their legs???
"Heard of the place. Is it somewhere in Europe?"
"It was a part of Russia, and it became free in 99" she said. Now,
that would help in the next XAT try.
"OK," and the eternal silence reigns.
"What is it known for?" I asked, like that journalist from National
Geographic. Atleast somebody needs to keep the conversation on.
"What?"
Didn't she get my sentence? Was something wrong with my way of pronunciation?
Was my language accented?
Aren't Indians understood because of their accent???
Dammit!!! We have won a Booker, and a Nobel. And she was from
Romania, not England. Who knows what language she would have been
educated in?
Arundathi Roy, Zindabad!!!
"What – is – known – for? " I repeated slowly.
"What?" she repeated, emphatically.
I GOT IT!!!
"Romania," I uttered. No need of Roys and Sens anymore.
"Romania is a beautiful country," she said. Is it beautifuller than
Aish ??? Or the Taj??? Ok, ok, Aish had anyway accepted that the Taj
is beautifuller than her.
"But, it is a poor country. We have a lot of people below the poverty
line. The Russians ruled over us, and exploited the country. We
protested against their rule for a long time. …………." And on , and on
and on.
"…became free in 99"
"OK" I uttered.
She bent down, and pulled a black, rectangular bag from below.
IT WAS A LAPTOP.
Romania is a poor country???
She switched it on.
"Do you know AutoCad?" she asked me.
"Yes," I said.
"Oh!" she said. Did I look from Somalia?
"I am in the sales team of Autodesk," she said putting the Laptop back
into the bag, after switching it off.
"Great," I uttered.
"I am a software engineer in CGI-AMS," I uttered the last part as
though Microsoft never interested me.
"You are a software engineer?" she asked.
"Yes," I said.
"Then you should have used AutoCad," she said. WAS THAT WHY SHE WAS
TRYING TO SHOW ME AUTOCAD ON HER LAPTOP???
I definitely looked from Somalia!!!
"No, but a lot of my friends have," I shrugged.

Like Mahatma Gandhi said " I have to go now, " I will really have to
go now. Estimated wrongly that I could finish it off today. But,
will bug you again on the morrow. :-)
An unexpected event in the night has to be attended, and before
corrupt minds start deducing, it is in office conference room. Also,
highly official in nature. :-)
Check this space tomorrow.

Have a worthy day.

Ciao

teju
(ps: Do not know if Mahatma Gandhi ever said "I have to go now" on
record, but it is a common phrase.... he should have used it atleast
once, ain't it? ;-) )

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Ok, i have to admit.. i went BALLISTIC reading through this piece of ur travelogue! its marvelously well carved.. like a sculpturor at work.. except.. instead of making a very sensuous half nude statue.. u ended up making a munna bhai mbbs out of yourself! hehehe!

Hey! U didnt know Romania? Ahh... now Im like in the country thats bordering it.. but I wont let u bother with all the details of Russian History.. because even Stallin will snore to sleep through this one! Its too much details..in too less time.. but we share a more or less similar history as Romania.. except our 'freedom' came quite early..(thanks to the Austrian-Germans' greed for our country).

But..Puhhleez! Need I remind you that handsome guys look even more handsome when they dont even try to be handsome in the first place? Didnt get that one? Well.. next time when ur dishevelled hair on your forehead makes an uncanny twist.. so will some young girl's heart! ;-)

And might I say what a four day old stubble does to a girl's imagination! Dont even ask! :-P Just understand that flights are a completely wrong place to be thinking such thoughts! hahaha!(blushes)

Now.. I wonder how you shrugged off your Somalian Attraction in the rest of the journey! Lol! ;-)

Thejas Rajaram said...

err....

four day old beard looks great on saif ali khan, when we are watching him from the air conditioned multiplex seats....

you don't feel the stench .... and the don't get to see the 'details' stuck amidst the stubbles... do ya.... hehehe

Anonymous said...

pressharper http://www.kindel.com/members/Furnace-Filters.aspx noaccess http://www.kindel.com/members/Vending-Machines.aspx overland http://www.kindel.com/members/Kitchen-Cabinets.aspx lyndhurst http://www.kindel.com/members/Slipcovers.aspx conceals http://www.kindel.com/members/Polar-Heart-Rate-Monitors.aspx bohemia http://www.kindel.com/members/Popcorn-Machines.aspx headlights http://www.kindel.com/members/Garage-Door-Openers.aspx bally http://www.kindel.com/members/Area-Rugs.aspx kogengaku http://www.kindel.com/members/Omeprazole.aspx irtysh http://www.kindel.com/members/Vacuum-Cleaners.aspx celebrates http://www.kindel.com/members/Annuity-Calculator.aspx ware http://www.kindel.com/members/Bariatric-Surgery.aspx capwip http://www.kindel.com/members/Electric-Blankets.aspx throughdover http://cciworldwide.org/members/Furnace-Filters.aspx ephemeral http://cciworldwide.org/members/Vending-Machines.aspx islam